- Bulgur Wheat1 Cups
- Chicken150 GramsBoneless
- Sausage125 Grams1 Large Piece of sausage. I used Hungarian sausage (a mix of pork and beef sausage), use any type of sausage
- Oyster Sauce1 Tablespoons
- Soy Sauce1 Teaspoons
- Carrot2 medium
- Bell Pepper1/4 Large SizeRed, Yellow And Green
- Onion1/2 Medium
- Vegetable Oil4 Tablespoons
- Curry Powder1/2 Teaspoons
- Thyme1/4 Teaspoons
- Salt and Chicken Bouillon / Seasoning CubeTo taste
- Paprika1/2 TeaspoonsGround Pepper. Substitute with cayenne pepper or chilli powder. If you live in Nigeria, you can get this and other ingredients mentioned at any big supermarket
1. Chop the chicken into strips, wash, season with salt, 1/2 to 1 teaspoon onion powder, garlic powder and paprika (or chilli powder). Add vegetable oil to a pan, fry chicken until cooked (don’t over fry so it doesn’t dry out). Chop and fry the sausage as usual.
2. Add about 2 cups of water to a pot, add a tablespoon of oil, add salt to taste, bring to a boil then add the bulgur wheat and cook until bulgur is done. This should take between 10 to 20 minutes.
3. While the bulgur is cooking, chop the onions, carrots and bell peppers into small pieces. In a small bowl, add the soy sauce and oyster sauce, mix together and set aside.
4. Add about 4 tablespoons of same oil you used to fry the chicken to a pan, heat up, add the onions, saute for about 2 minutes or until fragrant.
5. Add the remaining vegetables (bell peppers and carrots). Stir fry for about 2 to 3 minutes. Don’t over cook so the vegetables will retain its crunchiness at the end.
6. Season with chicken bouillon/seasoning cube to taste, curry, thyme and paprika stir and add in the sausages and chicken.
7. Stir fry for a few seconds then add the sauce mixture from step 3.
8. Stir, taste for salt and cook for a few seconds then add the cooked bulgur wheat.
9. Stir everything together until bulgur, chicken, veggies and sausages is well combined.
10. Cook for about 1 to 2 minutes max (essentially to reheat bulgur).
Done. Your Bulgur Stir Fry is ready to serve.
You can substitute bulgur wheat with rice.
If you are vegetarian, you can skip the sausages and chicken.
You can also add a couple of tablespoons of chicken stock to the stir fry if you want or use it in place of soy sauce and oyster sauce. To get chicken stock, season the chicken as usual and boil instead of frying.
Yet another way to make this dish if you don't have oyster and soy sauce, after boiling the chicken(you can boil the sausage with chicken), remove the stock and use it to cook the bulgur wheat. Then stir fry the vegetables and season with only chicken seasoning cube, curry and thyme, then add in the chicken, sausages and cooked bulgur and stir fry for a couple of minutes.