- Beef500 GramsPreferable soft and tender beef.
- Beef Stock1 Cups
- Soy Sauce2 TablespoonsDark soy sauce. You can get this and other sauces at any big supermarket if you live in Nigeria
- Oyster Sauce2 1/2 Tablespoons
- Worcestershire Sauce3 Tablespoons
- Fresh Garlic1 CloveMinced
- Bell Pepper1 Medium or 1/2 LargeRed, Yellow and Green.
- OnionHalf MediumFinely chopped
- Seasoning For The Beef1 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, salt, 1/2 teaspoon curry powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon corn flour
- Sesame Oil2 TablespoonsSubstitute with vegetable oil or any type of oil
Prep for the shredded beef
1. Wash the beef, put it in a pot, add water, add salt, chilli powder, a little curry powder, beef seasoning (optional) and seasoning cube and boil until soft. Set the beef and stock aside.
2. Let the beef cool down, then cut in in thin long strips.
3. Season the beef strips with all the beef seasoning mentioned above.
4. Cover the beef and let it sit in the fridge for at least 20 minutes or more if you have the time. Set aside.
****See footnotes down below for another way to do this.
Shredded Beef Sauce Recipe
1. Cut the peppers in thin long strips. Chop the onions.
2. In a bowl, add soy sauce, oyster sauce, Worcestershire sauce. Mix and aside.
3. Add a few tablespoons of sesame oil to a pan, heat up, add the onions and garlic, saute on high heat for 1 minute or until fragrant and translucent, then add the peppers. Stir-fry for about 2 minutes.
***If you want the peppers to retain their crunch, don’t add it in now.
4. Add the the sauce mixture from step 2.
5. Stir and let it fry for about 2 minutes, then add the beef and some beef stock. Quantity of beef stock depends on the quantity of beef you have and how much liquid you want in the sauce. 1/2 cup of beef stock is a good place to start. You can always add more later if you want more liquid in the sauce or if you want the sauce less thick.
6. Stir, taste for salt and adjust taste if needed and let it cook for about 3 to 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens and reduces. If the sauce isn’t thick enough for you, dissolve 1/2 teaspoon of corn flour in 3 tablespoons of water and add it in. Let it simmer for a couple of minutes, it should thicken nicely after this.
7. If you didn’t add the bell peppers earlier, add it in now and let it cook for about 2 minutes maximum.
Serve with the coconut rice.
If you already have beef stock, you don't have to boil the beef. Another way is to fry the beef. Just get some soft boneless already cut beef strips, season with all the seasoning listed, let it sit for about 20 minutes in the fridge or longer if you have time, then add oil to a pan and fry beef until cooked. Don't over fry. Then proceed to the shredded beef sauce recipe.
For a Shredded Beef recipe without beef stock, check out this Shredded Beef Stir Fry Recipe.
For a simple shredded beef recipe, check out this easy shredded beef sauce recipe