- Minced Beef700 Grams
- Irish Potatoes6Large
- White Onion1Large
- Garlic Cloves3
- Unsalted Butter50 Grams
- Mixed Vegetables1/2 Cups
- Chopped Carrots1/2 Cups
- Beef Stock1 Cups
- Olive Oil2 Tablespoons
- Scotch Bonnets aka Ata Rodo3
- Dried Parsley2 TeaspoonsIf you live in Nigeria, you can get this and other ingredients at any big supermarket
- Basil2 Teaspoons
- Saltto taste
- Black Pepperto taste
- Fresh Parsley1 Tablespoonsoptional
Peel potatoes and cut into chunks.
Peel and dice carrots.
For the filling:
1. In a large skillet or pan heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil, add onions and garlic, fry together for 2 minutes.
2. Then add mince and using a spatula, crumble the mince, stirring and turning frequently until the mince has browned, 3-5 minutes.
3. Reduce the heat, add the beef stock and stir.
4. Add chopped bonnets, salt, dried parsley, dried basil, and black pepper. Stir and simmer for 10 minutes before then adding the mixed vegetables and carrots.
5. Stir and cover the skillet for 5 minutes, allow ingredients to cook together before removing from heat and setting aside.
For the mash:
**to save time the potatoes should be boiled while you are cooking the mince as above**
1. Lightly salt and boil the potato chunks for about 15 minutes or until very soft (mashable).
2. Pierce potatoes to check that they are soft enough (the should be falling apart).
3. Once potatoes are soft enough, drain and using a masher or fork, mash the potatoes until smooth, making sure there are no lumps.
4. Then add butter and allow it to melt in the mash, stir the butter into the mash until it is well incorporated.
For the pie:
1. Pre heat the oven at 160 degrees celcius.
2. In an oven dish, dish a generous amount of the mince filling for the bottom layer.
3. Then top a generous layer of the mashed potatoes over the mince filling.
4. Increase the oven to 190 degrees celcius and place the oven dish in the oven for 10 minutes or until the mashed potato top is slightly golden brown.
done. Once the mash has slightly browned, pierce the pie to ensure the filling at the bottom is hot and sizzling.
Remove from the oven and serve immediately !
Your Classic Cottage Pie is ready, enjoy !