- Chicken1 KilogramsI used chicken drumsticks and breast
- Flour1.5 CupsTo coat, you will need at least 1 cup.
- Corn Flour1/4 CupsTo coat
- Baking Powder2.5 TablespoonsTo coat
- Onion Powder3 Tablespoons
- Garlic Powder3 Tablespoons
- Cayenne Pepper3 TablespoonsAdd more for more spiciness. Substitute with paprika
- Ground Ginger (Optional)2 Teaspoons
- Ground Allspice Seasoning1.5 Teaspoons
- Ground Black Pepper1.5 Tablespoons
- Eggs6 Pieces
- Powdered Milk2.5 TablespoonsDissolve in 2.5 cups of water or use 2.5 cups of liquid milk
- Vinegar6 TablespoonsI used brown spirit vinegar, you can substitute with any type of vinegar
- Vegetable OilFor frying
- Tomato KetchupFor the dip
- Worcestershire SauceFor the dip
- Salt2 TeaspoonsOr To taste. I also added chicken bouillon / seasoning cube for extra flavour
How to make crispy fried chicken.
1. Wash the chicken.
2. Add all the spices (garlic powder, ginger powder, cayenne pepper, ground black pepper, all spice, onion powder, salt to taste and seasoning cube if you will be using) to a bowl, mix until combined. Set aside.
3. Break 3 to 4 eggs into a bowl, add the milk to 2.5 cups of water and stir until the milk has dissolved(or use 2.5 cups of liquid milk), then add the milk to the eggs. Add the vinegar and stir thoroughly until all ingredients are combined. This will be the marinade.
4. Divide the spices into half. Set one half aside. You will use it later. Coat the first half on the chicken pieces and put the spiced chicken into the marinade.
5. Put the chicken and the marinade in a Ziploc bag or cover the marinade so it is air tight and put it in the fridge for at least 2 hours to marinate. You can even do this overnight.
6. Bring out the marinated chicken from the fridge, set aside.
7. In a bowl, add the corn flour, baking powder, all purpose flour (you should add enough), a little more salt. Bring out the remaining half of the spices from step 2.
8. Break two fresh eggs into a bowl, whisk and set aside.
9. Coat the chicken with the remaining spices, then dip the marinaded chicken into the egg first, then coat the chicken with the flour mix until all the chicken is completely covered in the flour mixture. I like to complete one set of coating first, then do another set of flour coating. But this is optional. Set aside and prepare for frying.
10. Add vegetable oil to a pan or pot and heat up. Fried chicken is deep fried so you should make sure there is enough oil in the pot. Heat up (not overly hot so it doesn’t brown immediately and the insides remain uncooked).
11. Put the coated chicken into the oil and fry until it is sufficiently brown and done.
Your Crispy Fried Chicken is ready. Serve with any dip of your choice. I served mine with some tomato ketchup and worcestershire sauce dip (see second picture). It was super tasty.
To make the dip, add equal parts tomato ketchup and worcestershire sauce into a sauce bowl, add a sprinkle of cayenne pepper to it, stir and serve with the chicken. That’s all.
If you don't have brown spirit vinegar, you can use other type of vinegar.
For the marinade, if you have buttermilk, skip the milk and vinegar entirely and use buttermilk and eggs as the marinade.
If you don't have access to all of the spices or ingredients used, the most important ingredients to achieve the crispy texture are the eggs, flour, corn flour and baking powder. So be sure to have those.
For another fried chicken recipe, check out this Breaded Chicken Drumsticks Recipe