- Potato2 PiecesMedium sized
- Scent Leaves
- Smoked Mackerel100 GramsYou can use any type of fish
- Onion1 Pieces
- Chili Powder2 Teaspoons
- Seasoning Cubes
How to make Healthy Sweet Potato Porridge
This simple potato porridge is very easy to make, takes little time and makes a healthy meal for those looking for healthy food inspiration.
1. Wash the vegetables thoroughly, chop and set aside.
2. Chop the onion and wash the smoked fish. Add water to a pot, add the onions, smoked fish, chili powder, salt and/or one seasoning cube and boil for about 15 minutes or until the stock is tasty. Whie this is cooking, peel and chop the potato. Season with a little salt.
3. Add the scent leaves, stir and boil for about 5 minutes, add one more seasoning cube (if there is enough salt already, skip) and then add the potatoes. Stir well and boil for another 15 to 20 minutes or until the potatoes is soft and done.
Your potato porridge is ready. Serve with any juice or smoothie.
1. This potato porridge was made without using palm oil. Other variations of this recipe use palm oil. If you use palm oil, then your porridge will have that rich orangey, yellowish colour. You add palm oil (about 1 cooking spoon) just before you put in the scent leaves. Adding palm oil adds more calories to the meal but both are equally delicious.
2. If you want to achieve that rich colour but don't want to use palm oil, you can use turmeric. But it will give the meal a different taste.
3. You can substitute scent leaves with pumpkin leaves / ugwu or spinach. But this will produce a different taste.