- All Purpose Flour1 CupsMeasured and leveled
- Butter1/2 CupsSoft butter. If yours has been in the fridge, bring it out to thaw until it softens. Use good quality butter so the cookies don't come out greasy like you used vegetable oil
- Granulated Sugar1/2 CupsUse 1/4 cup if you don't want it too sweet
- JamAs needed. I used strawberry and apricot jam. You can use any jam you want
An easy butter cookie recipe with just three ingredients. These cookies are not the crunchy or crispy kind, they are soft and buttery. This recipe makes about 6 to 7 cookies.
1. Preheat your oven to 170 degrees Celsius or 325 degrees Fahrenheit or Gas Mark 3. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Add the butter to a mixing bowl, set your electric mixer to low speed and whip up the butter for about 2 minutes until it softens.
3. Add in the sugar, whip for about 3 minutes until butter and sugar is combined.
***If you don’t have an electric mixer, you can do this by hand. Just add your butter to a bowl, add in the sugar and mix thoroughly for about 10 minutes until butter and sugar is combined. You have to be patient enough and you need a strong arm to do this. This is to incorporate air into the butter and make it fluffier.
4. Add in the flour a little at a time and mix until flour, butter and sugar is combined and forms a dough. If you are using an electric mixer, don’t do this on high speed so you don’t over beat the flour and the dough doesn’t turn out crumbly. See second picture for a picture of the dough. I apologize for how little it is. I had already transferred most of the dough to a baking sheet before I remembered to take a picture 🙂
***If you are doing this by hand, just add the flour to the butter and sugar mixture and mix until all ingredients are combined and until it forms a dough. Be sure to not overwork the dough.
5. Bring the dough together. Cut out a piece of the dough, roll it into a smooth ball with your hands. Then place it on the cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Flatten the dough a little with a wet spatula or your palm, then using a wet spoon, create a dent in the center of the dough and put as much quantity of jam as you can in the hole. Do this repeatedly until you have exhausted all the dough. Be sure to space them out so they don’t stick together when baking.
You also don’t have to flatten first. The cookies will spread anyway but not as much as if you flatten first. Just roll the dough into a ball with your hands, place on the cookie sheet, then using your thumb, create a dent in the center of the dough and fill that hole with jam. The choice is yours :). But if you want your cookies to spread out more when baking and be wide, flatten first.
6. Depending on your oven, bake the cookies for about 12 to 20 minutes. Be sure to watch the cookies carefully, after the first 12 minutes, look at the cookies, if it hasn’t browned around the edges, continue baking for another 8 minutes. But baking shouldn’t take more than 20 minutes. Don’t over bake the cookies.
7. Let the cookies cool for at least 10 minutes before transferring them from the baking sheet. If you transfer them immediately, it will fall apart and crumble. So wait until they have hardened a bit before transferring with a spatula.
Done. Your easy three ingredient jam butter cookies is ready. Serve with any beverage of choice.
Be sure to measure each ingredient out carefully especially the flour. If you use too much flour, the cookies will turn out "strong" and won't spread out when baking.