- Coconut Milk1/2 CupsSee footnotes on recommendations
- Tomato3 Medium Sized PiecesSee footnotes for substitution
- Minced Beef250 Grams
- Seasoning For The Minced Beefsalt, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon thyme and curry powder, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and paprika or chilli powder (ground pepper)
- Onion1 Small PiecesFinely chopped
- Garlic1 CloveMinced
- Carrot (Optional)1 PiecesChopped
- Olive Oil1 1/2 Tablespoons
- Chilli Pepper (Optional)1 Pieces
- Basil1/2 TeaspoonsIf you live in Nigeria, you can get this at any big supermarket or you can skip totally
- Salt And Beef Bouillon / Seasoning CubeTo taste
- Paprika1/2 TeaspoonsGround Pepper. Substitute with chilli powder or cayenne pepper
- Rice NoodlesCooked, to serve. See second picture
How to make Minced Beef In Coconut And Tomato Sauce
A super delicious sauce that can be eaten with noodles, pasta, rice and even yams or potatoes.
1. Blend the tomatoes and chilli pepper (if you will be using) together until you get a smooth puree, or however smooth you want it.
**Don’t add any water when blending. For easier blending, chop the tomatoes and pepper into small pieces first before you transfer to a blender.
2. Wash the minced beef, season with salt, onion powder, thyme, curry powder and paprika (ground pepper).
3. Add olive oil to a pot, add in the chopped onions and minced / crushed garlic, saute for about 2 minutes or until fragrant, then add in the minced beef.
4. Stir fry the minced beef until it is no longer pink and it has browned then add the coconut milk.
5. Stir, cook for about 2 minutes, then add the blended tomato.
6. Stir, lower the heat, let it cook for about 3 minutes. Then add in the remaining ingredients (salt and beef seasoning cube to taste, basil, paprika).
7. Stir and let it cook on medium to low heat for about 10 to 15 minutes. Add in the carrots a couple of minutes to the end of cook time so it will retain its crunchiness.
**In between cook time, taste for salt and adjust taste if necessary. As you cook, you will notice that the sauce will thicken. Supplement with a little water or coconut milk as you go along.
Done. You Minced Beef Coconut And Tomato Sauce is ready. Serve with rice noodles(see second picture) or anything you like.
1. You can either use store bought coconut milk or make your own coconut milk at home
2. You can either use fresh tomatoes or use about 200g or 1 1/2 cups of canned chopped tomatoes. If you will be using canned chopped tomatoes, you can briefly blitz it in a blender to make it smooth if you find it too chunky.
For another minced beef recipe, check out this spaghetti bolognese recipe
3. You can substitute minced beef with chicken or make this dish a plain coconut and tomato sauce if you are vegetarian.