- Rice3 Cups
- Pumpkin Leaves (Ugwu)HandfulWashed and chopped
- Tomato3 Pieces
- Pepper10 PiecesOr less. A mix of scotch Bonnet and Chilli Pepper
- Dried Chilli Pepper1 Tablespoons
- Onion1 PiecesLarge size
- Chilli Powder1.5 Teaspoons
- Ground Crayfish2 Tablespoons
- Smoked FishAny type, Any quantity. You can also add other seafood and even little chunks of beef.
- Seasoning Cube and Salt
- Curry Powder (Optional)0.5 Tablespoons
- Palm OilAbout 3/4 Cups
- Ground Dried Shrimps1 Tablespoons
How to make Native Jollof Rice
1. Chop the pumpkin leaves (ugwu), and wash thoroughly to remove any dirt. Blend the tomatoes, peppers (scotch bonnet, chilli and dried chilli), chop the onion. Set aside.
2. Soak the fish in hot water to soften, drain the water and season with salt, chili powder, a little curry powder and seasoning cube and let it marinate in the fridge for about 15 minutes.
3. In a pot, add palm oil, heat up until hot (not bleached), then add the onions and stir fry for about 5 minutes then add the blended tomatoes and pepper. Stir and let it simmer for about 3 minutes. Then add salt, seasoning cube, an optional curry powder, chilli powder, the ground crayfish and shrimps, stir and let it cook for another 5 minutes. Then add the fish, stir and let it cook for another 5 minutes. You can add a little water if the stew starts to dry up. Add the chopped ugwu leaves. Stir and leave it to cook until the vegetable is soft.
4. While this is cooking, add your rice to a pot, and parboil. After parboiling, drain the water. Then put the rice back in the pot, add water to the rice and cook (add only enough water to cook the rice, too much water will make the jollof soggy). When the rice is almost done, add the cooked palm oil sauce to the rice, stir thoroughly so it mixes well with the rice. If there isn’t enough seasoning, add some more. On low heat, steam until any water has dried up and the rice is done.
Your native jollof rice is ready, eat alone or serve with plantains.
For more native rice recipes, check out this concoction rice recipe. Link below.