- Rice3 1/2 to 4 Cups
- Pineapple1 1/2 CupsChopped into small bits. Fresh or canned
- Mixed VegetablesI used 4 medium to large carrots, 3 tablespoons of green peas (skip if you don't like peas), 6 Spring Onions, 3/4 cup of sweet corn, 4 green beans. You can use any vegetable and in any quantity.
- Shrimps400 Grams
- Oyster Sauce2 TablespoonsIf you live in Nigeria, you can get this and other ingredients at any big supermarket
- Soy Sauce1 Teaspoons
- Hot Chilli Sauce (Optional)1 TeaspoonsFor a little spiciness. You can skip
- Salt and Seasoning / Bouillon Cubes
- OnionsHalf Medium
- Yellow Habanero Pepper4 PiecesSubstitute with 1/2 Large yellow bell pepper
- Red Bell Pepper1/2 Pieces
1. Wash rice, add to a pot, add water, add salt to taste and cook until done. The rice shouldn’t be cooked too soft. This is important. Pineapple fried rice doesn’t taste great with rice that is over cooked and too soft. Preferably cook the rice until Al dente (cooked but firm to bite) or better still use left over rice to get that “firm to bite” texture. Set the cooked rice rice aside.
2. While the rice is cooking, chop the carrots into small bits. Chop the red bell pepper and yellow habanero pepper (substitute with yellow bell pepper) into small bits. Dice the onions. Chop the spring onions. Set each of the chopped veggies aside aside separately. Also chop the pineapple if you haven’t already and set aside.
3. Break the eggs into a bowl, beat, season with a little salt and black pepper (or cayenne pepper if you wish), add oil to a pan, heat up and fry the eggs until done. Break up the eggs after frying. Set eggs aside.
4. Wash the shrimps, season with salt or Knorr / Maggi bouillon cube, curry powder, chilli powder. Add fresh oil to the pan that was used to fry the eggs, heat up, add the shrimps and fry until sufficiently cooked. Set shrimps aside.
5. In a bowl, add the soy sauce, oyster sauce and hot chilli sauce (if you will be using). Mix and set aside.
6. Add a few tablespoons of vegetable oil to a pot or pan, heat up. Add the diced onions. Saute for about 1 minute. Add the red and yellow pepper, saute for 1 minute.
7. Add the rest of the vegetables (sweet corn, carrots, green peas, green beans and spring onions). On medium heat, stir and stir-fry for about 2 minutes, then season with a little salt and bouillon / seasoning cube and chilli powder.
8. Stir-fry the vegetables for about 2 minutes (don’t cook the vegetables for too long, it should still retain its crunchiness at the end), then add sauce mixture from step 5. Stir.
9. Stir-fry for about 1 minute then add the chopped pineapples.
10. Stir and let it simmer for about 3 minutes or until pineapple is heated. Taste for salt, then add the cooked rice, shrimps and eggs.
11. Stir until everything in the pot is combined. Cover the pot, lower the heat a bit and let everything cook for about 5 minutes, essentially to reheat the rice.