- Beans450 Grams3.5 to 4 cups
- YamAs many chopped pieces as you would like
- Palm Oil1 to 1.5 Cups
- Ground Crayfish3 TablespoonsSkip if you are vegetarian or vegan
- Onion1.5Medium sized
- Scotch Bonnet Pepper8 Piecesor less. If scotch bonnet is too hot, substitute with habanero or chilli pepper. Quantity depends on you.
- Salt and Maggi / Knorr Seasoning cubeTo taste
- Chilli Powder1 Teaspoons
- Tomato (Optional)1 Large
How to make Beans and Yam Porridge
1. Blend the tomato, peppers and onions. A rough blend is fine. If you don’t have ground crayfish, blend your crayfish with the tomato, peppers and onions.
2. Wash the beans, chop the yams. Set aside.
3. Add water to a pot, add the beans and cook until it is three quarters done. Don’t add salt or any seasoning when the beans is boiling.
4. Once the beans is three-quarters done add the yam and a little more water to cook the yam. Season with chilli powder, salt and seasoning cube to taste.
5. Stir and cook until both the beans and yam is almost done.
6. Once it is almost done, add the palm oil, stir in and add the blended tomatoes, pepper, onions and crayfish. Taste for salt, if not enough, add more then stir. On medium to low heat, cook for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the beans and yam is soft and done.
Your Beans and Yam Porridge is ready.
For more porridge recipes, check out these recipes in the link down below.