- Sweet Potato2 Medium to Large Size
- Chicken Breast250 GramsBoneless Chicken
- Sausage (Optional)1 LargeChopped. I used Hungarian sausage(a mix of pork and beef sausage), you can use chicken sausage
- Ginger1/2 TeaspoonsCrushed
- Garlic1 TeaspoonsMinced or crushed
- Onion3/4 Medium SizeChopped
- Carrot2 MediumChopped into large chunks or desired size
- Bell Pepper1/3 PiecesRed, Yellow and Green. Chopped into bite size
- Curry Powder1.5 Teaspoons
- SaltTo taste
- Chicken Bouillon / Seasoning CubeTo taste
- Chilli Powder1 Teaspoons
- Tomato Paste1 Tablespoons
- Vegetable Oil4 Tablespoons
- Water or Chicken Stock2 to 3 CupsAnother recipe for this dish down below uses chicken stock
1. Chop the chicken into bite sizes or desired size, wash thoroughly, season with salt, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon thyme, 1 teaspoon onion powder and 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder. Mix in the spices with the chicken. Set aside.
2. Add about 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil to a pot, heat up, add the onions, garlic and ginger. Saute for 1 to 2 minutes or until translucent and fragrant.
3. Add in curry powder and chilli powder, stir, then add in the chicken and sausages (if you will be using).
4. Stir-fry the chicken and sausages for about 2 minutes, then add about 2 to 3 cups of water.
5. Add salt and chicken bouillon / seasoning cube to taste, stir, bring to a boil for about 3 minutes, then add the tomato paste.
6. Stir and let the chicken cook until it is done. This should take about 10 to 15 minutes because it is soft, boneless chicken.
***As it cooks, the liquid in the pot will start to reduce and may start to thicken, so supplement with more water if necessary. Once you start cooking the chicken, start cooking the potatoes in another pot(peel the potatoes, chop, add water to a pot and cook potatoes until done). Set the cooked potatoes aside.
7. Once the chicken has been essentially cooked through, add the bell peppers and carrots, stir and cook for about 3 minutes.
8. Taste for salt, then add the cooked potatoes. Stir in the potatoes gently (so it doesn’t mash inside the pot) and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes.
9. Add in the corn flour mixture to thicken. Once you add in the corn flour, the curry will immediately start to thicken. Let it cook for a few seconds more then bring it down.
Done. Your Sweet Potato In Chicken Curry is ready to serve.
Another way to make this dish. This method uses chicken stock.
1a.**If you don't already have chicken stock, season the chicken with curry powder, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, chilli powder and salt, add water to a pot, add the chicken and sausages and boil both until done. Remove the chicken and sausages from the stock, set both aside separately.
1b. **If you have chicken stock, season the chicken, add oil to a pot and fry chicken until it is cooked. Fry the sausages too.
2. Add the vegetable oil to a pot, heat up, saute the onions, garlic and ginger for about a couple of minutes or until fragrant.
3. Add the curry powder, salt and seasoning cube, stir, then add the cooked chicken and sausages, stir and add about 2 to 3 cups of the chicken stock.
4. Bring to a boil for about 2 minutes, then add the tomato paste.
5. Stir and cook for about 3 minutes, then add in the bell peppers and carrots.
6. Let it cook for another 3 minutes, then add in the cooked potatoes.
7. Stir gently, cook for about 2 to 3 minutes, then add in the corn flour mix.
8. Stir and once it thickens, bring it down.