- Sweet Potato2
- Amaranth Leaves1 BunchLocally known as Green
- FishPreferably dried or smoked. If dried, soak first in hot water. Use any quantity you want.
- Ground Crayfish1 1/2 Tablespoons
- Onion1 Pieces
- Scotch Bonnet Pepper3 PiecesFinely chopped
- Chilli Powder1 Teaspoons
- SaltTo taste
- Maggi Seasoning CubeTo taste
- Vegetable Oil1/4 to 1/2 Cups
For the Sweet Potatoes
1. Peel, cut and wash the sweet potatoes.
2. Add water to a pot, add some salt and boil the sweet potatoes until cooked.
For The Amaranth Sauce
1. If you will be using dried or smoked fish, soak it in water to soften. Blend the onions and pepper (or finely chopped the pepper) and set aside.
2. Chop the leaves, rinse thoroughly to get rid of sand and dirt. Set aside.
3. Add some vegetable oil to a pot, heat up, add the blended pepper and onions and let it saute for about 2 minutes (stir so it doesn’t burn).
4. Lower the heat a bit, stir and let it fry for another 2 minutes.
5. Add the fish, add about 1/4 cup of water and let it cook for about 3 minutes.
6. Season with salt to taste, add seasoning cube, chilli powder and the ground crayfish, stir, let it simmer for 3 minutes to 5 minutes then add the amaranth leaves.
7. Stir and let it cook for about 3 to 5 minutes depending on how much leaves you have. Don’t let it cook for too long.
Serve with the sweet potatoes.
Another way to cook the sweet potatoes is to wash the sweet potatoes thoroughly with the skin on, add water to a pot and cook the sweet potatoes without peeling off the skin. When it is cooked, you then peel off the skin.