- Tigernut2 1/2 CupsLocally called Ofio
- Coconut1 Large
- Dates8 PiecesAs many as you want. The more dates you add, the sweeter the drink.
- Ground Ginger (Optional)1/2 TeaspoonsFor a little spiciness. Skip if you don't want
- Cayenne Pepper (Optional)1/4 TeaspoonsGround Pepper. For a little spiciness. Skip if you don't want.
- WaterTo blend the nuts and dates. Quantity depends on how much you have to blend so use as required
- BlenderTo blend
This drink is super delicious and super healthy. Great drink for those who don’t take dairy.
Step 1. Wash the tigernuts to rid them of dirt and sand. Put it in a bowl, add water and soak overnight. Drain the water after soaking.
Step 2. Break the coconuts, separate the meat (the white part) from the shell. Break the coconut meat further into smaller pieces for easy blending. Set aside.
Step 3. Soak the dates in hot water to soften. After your dates are softened, take out the seeds from the dates. Skip the soaking if your dates are already soft but don’t forget to remove the seeds from the dates.
Step 4. Add the soaked tigernuts, coconut and softened seedless dates to a blender. Add enough water and blend until “smooth”. It’s not really possible to have a completely smooth blend but blend until the tigernuts, coconuts and dates have been completely pulverized.
Step 5. Using a cheesecloth, muslin, any clean handkerchief or a large fine sieve, squeeze and sieve the blend until you get all the milk out. You can do this repeatedly, put the blend back into the blender, add water, blend and sieve again until you extract as much milk as possible.
Step 6. Pour the sieved drink into a cleaned blender, add the ginger powder or cayenne pepper(you can use both or pick one, choice is yours) and blend one last time. Don’t add any water. Skip this step if you don’t want any spiciness.
Step 7. Using a fine sieve, sieve one last time.
Serve warm or chilled, serve with any breakfast cereal. This drink should last for about 2 to 3 days in the fridge, just shake well before you drink.