- Palm Oil
- Fresh PepperTo taste
- CrayfishTo taste
- Seasoning Cubes
- Smoked Fish (optional)
- Ukpaka/Ugba- African Oil Bean (optional)
- Pumpkin leaves (Ugu)
- Scent leaves
How to make Local Vegetable Sauce:
This process is super quick and easy and it’s a nice option for boiled plantain, yam or even roasted yam.
1. Wash, chop the onions, blend the pepper and crayfish, clean the smoked fish and cut the vegetables.
2.In a sauce pan, add the preferred amount of palm oil, allow to heat for about two minutes then add the chopped onions. Allow to cook on LOW heat for about three minutes.
2. Add salt, seasoning cubes, crayfish and fresh pepper to taste then stir. Allow to cook for 5-10 minutes on MEDIUM heat.
3. Add the cleaned up smoked fish and stir – I like to add smoked fish because it gives it this extra flavor that I like. Also, add the “Ukpaka” and stir. Allow to heat (medium heat) for about a minute or two. Check for salt, if not enough, add more till satisfied.
4. Finally, add the vegetables ( Pumpkin leaves and scent leaves) and stir. Allow to heat.
Serve with boiled plantain/yam or roasted yam.
The volume or size of the vegetable sauce is mostly dependent on the amount of vegetables used.