- Flour2 CupsAll Purpose Flour
- Fresh Egg1 Pieces
- Sugar2 Tablespoons
- Butter2 Tablespoons
- Salt1/4 Teaspoons
- Vegetable Oil1 Tablespoons
- Tuna Fish1 CanSubstitute with any fish of choice. Cooked
- OnionHalf of a Medium SizedSliced
- Fresh Tomato1 PiecesSliced
- Tomato Paste1 Tablespoons
- Maggi Cube1 Pieces
- Baking Powder1 Tablespoons
- Milk1/4 Cups
- Vegetable OilMore vegetable oil for frying
STEP 1: The Dough Recipe
1. Put the flour in the bowl.
2. Add the salt and sugar, then mix.
3. Add the egg (white & yolk), butter and vegetable oil. Mix.
4. Add 1 teaspoon of baking powder and milk. Knead the dough until you get a smooth and solid consistency. The dough shouldn’t look and feel too hard or watery.
5. Cover the dough for about 30 minutes or set aside while you make the filling.
STEP 2: The Filling Recipe
1. Add a little oil to a pot, add the sliced onion and tomato.
2. Fry for about 2 minutes then add the tomato paste.
3. Stir and let it fry for about 2 to 3 minutes then add the tuna fish, salt and Maggi seasoning cube to taste.
4. Stir and let it cook for about 2 minutes. Done. Set aside.
Back to the dough.
1. Cut the dough into small pieces.
2. Using a rolling pin, flatten each cut pieces on the a flat work surface. Be sure to coat the work surface with flour first.
3. Take a small portion of the fish(or whatever quantity you desire) and put it in the middle of the flat piece of dough. Fold it in half and with your fork to press on the edges. Repeat until you have exhausted the dough and filling.
4. Add vegetable oil to a pan (this is deep fried so add enough), heat up (not overly hot so it doesn’t brown immediately), add in the fish pies and fry until they are a nice golden brown colour.
Done. Your Fish Pies or Pastels is ready.