- Butter2 1/2 TablespoonsMelted. See footnotes after recipe for recommendations
- Flour1/2 CupsTo coat
- SaltTo taste
- Cayenne Pepper1/4 TeaspoonsSubstitute with chilli powder
- Vegetable OilFor frying
How to make Yam Balls
1. Peel, chop and wash the yam, put it in a pot, add water, add salt to taste and boil until cooked, done and soft.
2 Completely mash the cooked yam. Add the melted butter, mix into the mashed yam. You can also add some cayenne pepper here and mix. Set the mashed yam aside.
3. Break and beat the eggs into a bowl, add the flour to another bowl.
4. Scoop up a little or the mashed yam in your palm, mould into a ball.
5. Dip the yam ball into the egg, coat it entirely with the egg, then dip it into the flour, coat it completely with flour.
6. Do this until all your mashed yam has been moulded into balls.
9. Add vegetable oil to a pan or pot (add enough it is deep fried), heat up and gently add the yam balls into the pan. Add it gently so the balls won’t come apart inside the pan. Also, don’t overcrowd the pan. Fry the yam balls until they have browned to your liking- preferably light brown to golden brown.
In addition to the melted butter, you can add also egg yolks to the yam after mashing then mix it in with the yam. It will make the yam softer and a little moist after frying. You can also coat with bread crumbs or corn flakes instead of flour. Like this Corn Flakes Yam Balls Recipe
You can stuff your yam balls with minced meat or seafood or any stuffing of your choice. For a stuffed yam balls recipe, check out this Stuffed Yam Balls Recipe.